Good morning friends!
This weekend I made a great dinner that I wanted to share with you.
It's from a Good Housekeeping cookbook called Fast Weeknight Favorites. (Amazon says it's $24.95, but we only paid $5 for it at Kohls.)
For some reason, I get super sketched out cooking meat in my own home. It's one of my very favorite things to eat... if my mom's cooking it. But when Brian or I cook it, I don't trust it. But this meal was so good, I ate every single bite!
Mongolian Beef Stir-Fry
Total time: 30 min
Makes 4 servings (it only fed 3 of us, but 2 of them are hungry grad students)
1 beef flank stead (1 lb) thinly sliced
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon grated, peeled fresh ginger
4 tablespoons soy sauce (if this is gluten-free, the whole meal will be)
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
1 medium red pepper, thinly sliced (I also added green pepper)
2 bunches green onions, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced (I'm sure I did more than this because I love garlic)
2 tablespoons dry sherry (I substituted Apple Cider Vinegar and it worked great!)
2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
1 teaspoon sugar
1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
Rice (5-minute white rice works great!)
1. In a large bowl, toss steak with cornstarch, ginger, and 2 tablespoons soy sauce until evenly coated; set aside.
2. In a nonstick 12-inch skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat until very hot. Add onion, red pepper, green onions, and garlic; cook, stirring frequently (stir-fry), until vegetables are tender-crisp (about 5 minutes).
3. While everything's cooking, start some 5-minute white rice.
4. Meanwhile, in a cup, use a fork to mix sherry (apple cider vinegar), hoisin, sugar, crushed red pepper and remaining 2 tablespoons soy sauce, until blended.
5. Transfer vegetables to bowl.
6. In same skillet, heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add beef mixture. Stir-fry until lightly browned (about 2 min).
7. Stir in mixture from cup; heat to boiling.
8. Return vegetables to skillet and heat through.
When it's all finished, put some rice on your plate with your stir-fry on top. It was delish! We finished the whole thing in one sitting... I was stuffed and the boys were super impressed.
Tonight, I'm trying to make some homemade sausage balls... I'll let you know how it turns out!